Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bits and Bobs ...

This post is a smattering of a few different things ... and is so titled because I distinctly remember hearing the hunky Australian working at Sunsail in Tortola referring to the 'odds and ends' as 'bits and bobs' ... so there we have it ... my bits and bobs post.

First ... I have yet to write about my family's visit to me here in St. Croix, and then our voyage betwixt planes, boats, and automobiles to and through the British Virgin Islands ... this will have it's own post when I find the gumption to write the expansive and exciting tale.

Until then ... back to the Bits and Bobs.

My Kiddies

Here are three of them. All three are near and dear to my heart, but the two on the right are two of my girls. Some of the sweetest moments of my life so far have been rocking both of those girls to sleep, or comforting them when they need me and call out my name. Working where I do has taught me so much. I have learned that there is nothing sweeter and no job more rewarding than being in a position to love and care for children ... from mopping up puke and changing diapers of diarrhea to kissing foreheads and singing lullabies ... every bit of it is worth it because it is often times followed by the feel of a soft delicate little face on your chest and a sense that this world is absolutely full of good.

Last night, the little girl in the pink bikini came out of bed and crawled onto the couch with me around 3 am (she's been plagued by nightmares lately, and I've had to wake her up and hold her a few times this week). Her eyes were big as she looked at me, "Miss Molly!" she cried woefully, a slight hint of a sob just at the edge of her voice. She jumped on me and wrapped her little arms around my neck. We sat together on the couch as I patted her back and reminded her that it was only a dream, and that Miss Molly would never let anything bad happen to her. I told her that I am a professional when it comes to fighting monsters and bad guys, and even did a little karate chop in the air to show her how very impressive my monster destroying skills are. She looked reassured and rested her head on my shoulder, and began to suck her thumb, and so we sat there, in the dark, and within in a few minutes she had fallen back to sleep.

People sometimes laugh at how few perks my job has ... but my barely five figure salary is plumped by the ultimate perk of all: having the opportunity to love every single one of the girls that I work with, every day, and in a very real way. True, there is no company retreat in Aspen, but I do get sweet little five year old arms wrapped around my neck when she gets scared, and the knowledge that they know who they can turn to.

The Southern Cross
I wish that I had found a picture that did the Southern Cross more justice (this really just doesn't do it for me). The day before Easter I was at Divi with a few of my roommates for another country concert (similar to the one where we met Chuck Wicks), and I got to meet a couple different stars again, so that was cool. But frankly, the coolest part of my night was seeing the Southern Cross for the very first time.

The concert was at the beach and in order for me to see it, I had to walk closer towards the water. I hadn't expected to see much of anything. Usually when people say they can see something in the sky ... I can't really tell what they're talking about amongst the confusion of all the other stars, and so I didn't have high hopes for the Southern Cross. Sure, I thought ... there, somewhere in the big sky will be the Southern Cross ... whatever.

But as I reached the edge of the water and looked south ... there, gleaming brilliantly and stunningly, was the well defined shape of the Southern Cross.

I couldn't believe it. It was so beautiful ... and much easier and clearer to see than even the big dipper. It was really moving. I was standing alone in the sand at the edge of the night covered ocean that was flirtatiously kissing my toes and there above me, in all of my insignificance, was the glory of the Southern Cross. Beautiful. It was just beautiful.

Mangoes and Cruzan Fall
Fall leaves, heaps and heaps of fall leaves, that's what we currently have in St. Croix, and I would know, I spent three hours raking up leaves at the Woman's Coalition in Frederiksted on Saturday. We have so many leaves that outside of the cottage we have eight industrial sized black garbage bags full of leaves. They are brown and yellow, and they're everywhere. There's enough for children to jump in, enough to soften a landing, enough to have an awesome leaf fight (just watch out for centipedes and gongolos!).  There are a lot ... I feel like I live in the Caribbean version of Vermont!

This fact combined with the fact that I just saw the Southern Cross a little more than a week ago is making me wonder ... exactly which hemisphere am I in?

The mango and genip trees are experiencing a bit of a "fall" season. No one has really been able to explain to me why this is ... to everyone here ... it simply "is", it's one of those things you don't question. "Ya we have fall leaves in April/May ... doesn't everyone?" But no matter why it's happening, I no longer care to question it because it is absolutely beautiful. A touch of fall is good for my soul ... as are the mangoes I've been buying at the store for cheap! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment